Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Benny From Kilkenny: Couchsurfing unveiled

Taking the web world by storm is a new social networking sensation called Couchsurfing. It’s a website designed to connect travellers from around the world in one easy location. Here people can meet via profile interaction and through various online messages can arrange accommodation in either party’s home country. The nature of this site is as innocent as they come; travellers of all ages just looking to learn about a culture through its people.

Where do I sign up? Drawn by the appealing possibility of free accommodation and a local guide, I decided to give this web site a go. But soon I began to discover a kind of Pecking Order that naturally occurred amongst Couchsurfers. Each profile strived to be more “creative” and “interesting” than the previous and many of the members that I came across were looking for someone merely to brag to. Feeling a little in over my head, I timidly sent a message to a Welsh girl living nearby. I was shocked, to say the least, when I received a reply but was grateful when I finally did meet her to find that we had a little more in common that I expected.
Powered by my sudden luck, I stuck to Couchsurfing and sent out messages to people in the neighbouring villages. I began meeting other au pairs, exchange students, travellers, and even locals. Things were looking up. But surfers be warned; many profiles you find are descriptions of what the member thinks of themselves. Occupations such as: full-time dreamer, forever undecided, professional student, currently stickin’ it to the man, and many other rainbow coloured pieces of b-shit are sure to be found with each click of the mouse.

One memorable experience put me off Couchsurfing for a while; Benny from Kilkenny. Being a lady killer in his own mind, this “well-travelled” and “cultured” young man took life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon, and a quick shot of tequila. After spending nearly 2 hours with this greasy haired monkey, I had mapped out every possible escape route in the pub and was debating a quick getaway.

This guy was absolutely hittin’ em out of the park with one liners like:

“I’m a lot like a cigarette, people just can’t get enough”.
“So you’re from Edmonton, EH? I hear that’s a shit hole.”
“I hate Irish people; they’re all drunks.”
“So… any plans for tonight?” (Insert wink here)
“Yeah, most people say I’m pretty cultured.”

But despite my little pessimistic beat-down of this online phenomenon, this was only one example of what you will find on Couchsurfing. So my advice to you is to re-read profiles, check each member’s references, and give it a whirl because like that box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gunna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment