Sunday, July 31, 2011

Taking a Breather: Berat, Albania

Helping out at the Backpacker's hostel in Berat, Albania was one of the best decisions I think I made all year. Hesitant at first to be traveling through the Balkans as a single female traveler, I was soon able to squash my worries when arriving at Berat Backpacker's. The energy that hung throughout the place was astonishing and I had this strange feeling that this was were I was meant to be.
 I was lucky enough to befriend some of the greatest people while in Berat. Nick and Lucy, an English couple were light-hearted and had a way of making even the worst situations seem like a walk in the park. As for Jandrew, the dynamic Australian duo, well their charismatic energy made it hard for me to leave Berat.
During my stay, Andy, Jade, and I decided that the good weather was best enjoyed at the waterfalls. Joined by a most interesting couple, Jen and Noam, we set off for the falls, taking in the brilliant Albanian scenery. The waterfalls themselves were a sight, like we had uncovered this untouched oasis. Berat will always hold a special place in my heart, and I know deep down that one day I'll return and that upon my arrival I'm sure to feel just as alive I did when I was 19 and carefree.

No comments:

Post a Comment